I’ve just started adding to this page. More come soon!
Here are some quick suggestions for ways to improve your speaking skills.
- Speak as often as you can!
- Learn the International Phonetic Alphabet to help you understand the similarities and differences between the sounds in different languages.
- Don’t stress out over your accent or trying to pronounce sounds “like a native speaker.” The important thing is to be understandable. After all, everyone has an accent!
- Practice speaking with your friends. Go out for lunch and have an all-English rule!
- Use computer-based calling to talk to international friends.
- Volunteer with a tourist information office, an international friendship association, etc.
- Find an international club to join.
- LISTEN as much as you can.
- (More ideas coming soon!)
- Check the Readable Blog posts tagged “Speaking”!